Masonry workers, also known as masons, use bricks, concrete and concrete blocks, as well as natural and manmade stones, to build walkways, walls, and other structures.
- Mix mortar and grout
- Lay lines and grades
- Erect block and brick walls, partitions, and precast masonry panels
- Restore structures
- Lay brick floors and stairs
- Build fireplaces, chimneys, arches, and patios
- Read blueprints or drawings to calculate materials needed
- Lay out patterns, forms, or foundations according to plans
- Break or cut materials to required size
- Use green building techniques to conserve energy resources
Demands of the job
Much of the work is outside and physically demanding—bending, lifting, standing, climbing, and kneeling. The work is creative in nature. If you like working with your hands and have an eye for detail, brick masonry may be the trade for you.