Landscaping and grounds maintenance workers ensure that the grounds of houses, businesses, and parks are attractive, orderly, and healthy.
- Plant, transplant, prune and maintain trees, shrubs, and flowers
- Mow, edge, rake, seed, fertilize, and treat lawns
- Build retaining walls, patios/terraces, fences, and bed borders
- Install and maintain water features like ponds and fountains
- Install low-voltage lighting projects like solar outdoor lighting
- Weed and mulch landscape beds
- Water lawns, landscapes, and gardens
- Use green building techniques to conserve energy resources
Demands of the Job
Landscapers maintain grounds for homeowners, developments, schools, shopping centers, parks, hospitals, and other outdoor areas. More than simply planting and maintaining gardens and lawns, landscaping can involve building terraces and retaining walls and installing outdoor lighting and rainwater collection systems. Much of the work is outdoors and is physically demanding — including bending, climbing, lifting, kneeling, and standing for long periods. If you enjoy outdoor physical work in the natural environment, landscaping could be a great choice for you.